Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Super Mario


Okay for those of you that know me know that I am a big time hockey fan, The Pittsburgh Penguins to be exact. Mario Lemeiux is the owner of The Penguins, he was a great player and he is a great owner too. I am sure that someone reading this can come up with someone in sports that they think is greater than Mario. I do not care that you can come up with someone greater than him. I think that he is the greatest and NOTHING you can say or do will change my mind of that, so there is no need to share your opinion of him or of me for thinking that he is the greatest. If you want to share your opinion of who you think is the greatest then get your own blog! Now, if you do not want to know why I think he is the greatest then stop reading right now! I have given you warning so if you keep reading be prepared.


1. He single handedly saved The Pittsburgh Penguins from ruin. They owed him money and lots of it for playing for them. What player is going to say give me the team and we will call it even, when the team owed him millions of dollars? And it was his idea, unbelievable.

2. He retired because of numerous health problems. One season he played half the games that any other player in the league played and he still scored more goals than any other player. What would have happened had he played in all games that season. I don't think they would be calling Gretzky the great one anymore.

3. He came out of retirement like he had never left, oh yeah and I might mention that another great athlete, (I did say great), came out of retirment that same year. All I have to say about that is what a copycat!!!!

4. He is one class act! He has always given credit to his teammates, I have never heard him brag about any of his accomplishments. Unlike the other athlete I mentioned in #3.

I guess when you are as good as he is your actions speak louder than words.

5. He is the only hockey player to have scored 5 goals, in 5 different ways in one game. Even strength, short handed, penalty shot, short handed and empty net.

6. The last reason is he drafted Sidney Crosby to The Penguins. That alone is enough to make him great.


Today, is his birthday, and The Penguins unveiled The Mario Mosaic, a collection of photos of cancer survivors and penguins fans. You can see a picture of it at http://www.mariomosaic.com/. I must say that I think it is awesome, and a very well deserved tribute to a great guy.


No comments: