Friday, October 1, 2010

They rescued me!

So on Facebook you can like certain pages and businesses well I have liked one called Cause for Paws Utah. It is a not for profit business that helps to save animals in homeless shelters. I love animals and that is why I liked it in the first place but after they posted the poem listed below, and reading about the countless animals that have just one more day I may have to dislike them. Certainly not because I do dislike them but my heart breaks for each one that I cannot save. I could so be an animal hoarder, that is for sure.

My family brought me home cradled in their arms.
They cuddled me and smiled at me, and said I was full of charm.
They played with me and laughed with me, they showered me with toys.
I sure do love my family especially the girls and boys.
The children loved to feed me, they gave me special treats....They even let me sleep with them–all snuggled in the sheets.
I used to go for walks, often several times a day.
They even fought to hold the leash, I’m very proud to say.
They used to laugh and praise me, when I played with that old shoe.
But I didn’t know the difference between the old ones and the new.
The kids and I would grab a rag, for hours we would tug.
So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed up the bedroom rug.
They said that I was out of control, and would have to live outside.
This I did not understand, although I tried and tried.
The walks stopped, one by one; they said they hadn’t time.
I wish that I could change things, I wish I knew my crime.
My life became so lonely, in the backyard on a chain.
I barked and barked all day long, to keep from going insane.
So they brought me to the shelter, but were embarrassed to say why.
They said I caused an allergy, and then kissed me goodbye.
If I’d only had some classes, as a little pup.
I wouldn’t have been so hard to handle when I was all grown up.
“You only have one day left,” I heard the worker say.
Does this mean a second chance? Do I go home today?

People please think before you adopt or purchase an animal. If you want to get an animal please get one from a shelter, they are just as good as the ones you can buy from a breeder. I have 3 cats and they are all rescued pets. Two of them I rescued from the shelter, and one I rescued from my sister and her family. Really they are the ones that have rescued me.

No comments: